I’m a year late but I just finished watching Game of Thrones season 5. I love the wights. Finally some zombies I can respect! Spare me those slow moving zombies that plod along tripping over themselves. Ok, they eat brains but so what? There’s a anthropologist, foodie, or some adventurous person out there somewhere doing the very same thing. I’m not impressed. Besides, how can I respect the undead if I can outrun them? Now, lets take a look at wights.
- They took on a giant named Wun Weg Wun Dar Wun. You can call him Wun Wun for short.They didn’t win win but they did succeed in making said giant hastily walk into the sea with no clear direction in sight. Where the hell did he go? He wasn’t wearing a life jacket, didn’t have a boat, a paddle, a plan. The last scene he was above waist deep in water and making determined strides. I hope he makes it. If he doesn’t, I’d be delighted to feast my eyes on a zombie giant.
- They’re fast.
- A throng of wights threw themselves over the head of a cliff in order to get to their enemies. They didn’t stop to debate the wisdom in that and they rose from their fallen positions rather gracefully.
- They value teamwork. We have seen the way zombie squabbles ensue when they are fighting over a meal. Wights are above that. They understand that teamwork makes the dream work. How many of us can say that about our colleagues, friends and lovers??
- Brains are not the priority like most of the undead I have seen in movies. I always thought zombies had rather shortsighted goals. Wights want to kill you and increase their ranks. I suspect they’re heading towards world domination.
- They’re fast.
- They have chirren zombies. We all know that chirren zombies up the creepy factor times a thousand.
- There is no gradual decent into zombiehood. There is no sweat beaded upper lip and strange behavior to clue us in that someone has been “infected”. Wights are dead in an instant and reanimated with a mere flick of da wrist from the powerful White Walkers.
My invisible friends, the wights are one of the main reasons I eagerly await season 6 of Game of Thrones. On another note, Wun-Wun would make a great baby name. What do you think?